How much time is required to successfully complete the Lone Star Leadership Academy Council requirements?
- The time commitment varies with the activity you are currently completing. However the following information will give you a good estimate of the time requirements of being a Lone Star Leadership Academy Council member.
- 3 Leadership Lessons will be e-mailed to each member. There will be some reading required and then answering short essay type questions. There are no right or wrong answers to the questions. Students need to organize their thoughts and opinions and then they will write short essay-type answers. Each of the 3 leadership lessons can be completed in about one hour (reading and responding)
- The service project will be of your choosing with alumni coordinator’s approval. The details of the service project are explained under Requirements . The service project will take varying amounts of time depending on the detail of your project. However, a good estimate is that you will probably spend about 20-25 hours on this project over a period of several months. You will need to be able to have your service project completed about the end of February. Your service projects also requires that you secure a teacher or other adult as a sponsor (teacher/sponsor form here) and their time commitment will be about 2 to 3 hours; primarily to help with the organization of your project and any logistical matter you may need help with.
- The last requirement of the Lone Star Leadership Academy Council member is to sell 10 scholarship fundraiser tickets. Each ticket costs $5 and again, the amount of time required will vary. The tickets will be sent to you in early February and will need to be sold by the middle of March.
- With very specific instructions, you will complete a press release form and a service project presentation along with pictures you have taken throughout the service project. Depending on the depth of your creativity with the presentation, these two items will probably take about two hours.
- This information should give you a good idea of the time commitment involved to successfully complete the Lone Star Leadership Academy Council program. Be certain that you think about your other activities and if you are able to make this commitment, before you join us. We would like everyone who has participated in a Lone Star Leadership Academy program to participate in the alumni program, but we do know that you have many demands on your time and we want you to be successful as a member of the Lone Star Leadership Academy Council.
Will I have to join the Lone Star Leadership Academy Council each year and pay the $125 each year?
- Yes. Each year that you want to be a member of the alumni program, you must join again and pay the $125 registration fee. This fee covers all Education in Action staff dedicated to the Lone Star Leadership Academy Council, leadership training activities, a Lone Star Leadership Academy Council T-shirt and other supplies associated with the Lone Star Leadership Academy Council. You must be a member in good standing of the Lone Star Leadership Academy Council if you choose to be a Youth Facilitator.
If I am a second year Council member, do I need to do another service project?
- Yes, all Lone Star Leadership Academy Council members are required to complete a service project each year, regardless of the number of years they have been a member of the Lone Star Leadership Academy Council. However, if you have a service project that you feel has been very worthwhile and beneficial; you may continue it from year to year with the alumni coordinator’s approval. You will still need to secure a teacher/sponsor each year (again, can be the same person as in previous years) but, you will need to do a new service project presentation each year.
Can I do a service project with another Council member if we go to the same school?
- Yes, students may work with another student on the same service project, but each student is required to complete and turn in an individual service project presentation.
When can I go on the Lone Star Leadership Academy programs as a Youth Facilitator?
- Students may apply to become Youth Facilitators once they meet the grade requirement of being two years ahead of the students in the program they wish to facilitate; i.e.
Dallas-Fort Worth youth facilitators must have completed the 7th grade
Austin-San Antonio youth facilitators must have completed the 8th grade
Houston- Galveston youth facilitators must have completed the 9th grade
- You do not have to have attended the Lone Star Leadership Academy program you wish to facilitate as a participate as long as you meet the grade requirement and are a current "member in good standing" of the Lone Star Leadership Academy Council.
What can I apply my Education in Action earned scholarship credit toward?
Lone Star Leadership Academy Council members have the opportunity to earn Education in Action scholarship credit in several ways.
- $25 credit earned for successfully completing the Lone Star Leadership Academy Council program each year.
- $25 credit earned for giving qualifying presentations on your Lone Star Leadership Academy experience, (additional information provided on the Presentation Scholarship Opportunities page).
- These earned credits can be applied to the Lone Star Leadership Academy Council registration fee, your next summer Lone Star Leadership Academy program or toward the Youth Facilitator fee for a summer program, or a Lone Star Leadership Academy camp fee.