Alumni Council FAQs
How much time is required to successfully complete the Lone Star Leadership Academy Council requirements?
- Three Leadership Lessons - Estimated time: 3 hours (1 hour/lesson), The lessons involve reading, thinking about, and answering thought-provoking questions. There are no right or wrong answers.
- Service Project - Estimated time: 20-25 hours over several months. Projects take as much time as you decide to commit. Projects must be completed by the end of March. Members must also secure a teacher or other adult as a sponsor. Their estimated time commitment is 2 hours to help with organization and logistical support for your project
- Complete a Press Release Form- Estimated time: 30 minutes.
Will I have to join the Lone Star Leadership Academy Council each year and pay the $125 each year?
- Yes. This fee covers staff, leadership lessons, and a Lone Star Leadership Academy Alumni Council t-shirt.
If I am a second year Council member, do I need to do another service project?
- Yes, Each member is required to complete a service project each year they participate on the Alumni Council, Members may continue and build on a previous year's project with the alumni coordinator’s approval.
Can I do a service project with another Council member if we go to the same school?
- Yes. Members may work together on the same service project, but each member is required to complete and turn in a unique press release form.
When can I go on the Lone Star Leadership Academy camps as a Youth Facilitator?
- Students may apply to become Youth Facilitators once they meet the grade requirement of being two years ahead of the students in the program they wish to facilitate; i.e.
Dallas-Fort Worth Youth Facilitators must have completed the 7th grade
Austin-San Antonio Youth Facilitators must have completed the 8th grade
Houston-Galveston Youth Facilitators must have completed the 9th grade
- You do not have to have attended the Lone Star Leadership Academy program you wish to facilitate as a participant as long as you meet the grade requirement and are a current Lone Star Leadership Academy Alumni Council member in good standing.